20 Ways to Get More Fruits And Vegetables
I wanted to start off National
lump of clay in our mouth – it’s all
1 20 Ways to Get More Fruits
2 Vegtables cont.
3 Wellness Success Story
4 Monthly Recipe
Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph
More Fruits And Vegetables cont.
night – choose guacamole, salad, salsa, tacos stuff ed with
apricots, apples, prunes, pineapples, and cranberries
volunteer with the school to start one.
Personal Wellness Success Story of
March 2012 I made a commitment I think in terms of distance I
care of it more seriously. Since my steps. When ten minutes were husband passed away I had been
has become my sanctuary, so to speak. There’s open sky, ponds,
tv and went outdoors in the evening (kids rode their bikes
walk). I remember how great I felt distance of my walk with a small physically and how close we were gift I gave myself for the walking as a family doing ‘family things’
it takes me 50 minutes.but I am now walking 2 miles a day
New Mexico Spaghetti Squash with Black Beans and LimeBy The Gluten Free Goddess
Makes 4 servings. Active Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 90 minutes
• 1 medium spaghetti squash
A drizzle of fruity extra virgin olive oil, as needed
1 14-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained well
A sprinkle of cumin and good chili powder, to taste (I
Two whole roasted green chilies, mild or spicy,
added a sprinkle of minced garlic, as well)
2 ears of fresh corn, kernels cut off [or try a red bell
Cubes of goat cheese or feta (leave out for vegan)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Halve the squash lengthwise and place cut side up in a roasting pan. Season the squash with sea salt and
pepper, a drizzle of good olive oil, some cumin, chili powder (and garlic, if adding). Add two inches of water to the pan to help keep the squash from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Roast in a hot oven for about an hour, until the squash is fork-tender. Half way through roasting I poured a little bit of spring water on each squash to keep it moist.
3. When the squash is done, remove it and let it cool.
4. Heat a splash of olive oil in a large skillet [I like to use an iron skillet for - you guessed it - the iron it adds to
food]. Add the onion, garlic, corn kernels and spices; stir for fi ve minutes until the onion has softened.
5. When the squash is cool enough to handle: take a fork and scrape the squash, making spaghetti-like strands.
6. You can assemble the ingredients in a casserole-style baking dish and bake it - or you can do it all on the stove-
7. If you’re going to bake it - toss the squash strands into a large mixing bowl. Add a little of your best olive oil to
moisten. Season the mixture with more sea salt and pepper. Sprinkle in some added cumin or chili powder, if you like, to taste. Toss well. Add the skillet mixture, tomatoes, black beans, green chilies. Combine. Grate a lime and add the zest. Cut and squeeze the lime juice all over the mixture and toss lightly.
8. Pour the mixture into a casserole style baking dish. Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven until heated through
9. If you’d rather do it up in a skillet, add the squash to the skillet mixture, and stir in the remaining ingredients, as
above. Cover and gently heat through over medium heat - roughly fi ve to ten minutes.
10. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh chopped cilantro and some lime wedges.Nutritional Information Per Serving
Calories: 439, Carbohydrates: 81.5, Cholesterol: 0mg, Fat: 6.0g, Saturated Fat: 1.1g, Fiber: 17.4g, Sodium: 36mg,
Psychological Medicine, 2003, 33, 351–356. The internal and external validity of the Major Depression Inventoryin measuring severity of depressive statesL. R. O L S E N,1 D. V. J E N S E N, V. N O E R H O L M, K. M A R T I N Y A N D P. B E C HFrom the Psychiatric Research Unit, Frederiksborg General Hospital, Hillerød ; and Department of Rheumatology,Hoersholm General Hospital, Hoersholm,
a v a i l a b l e a t w w w . s c i e n c e d i r e c t . c o mj o u r n a l h o m e p a g e : w w w . e u r o p e a n u r o l o g y . c o mBenign Prostatic Hyperplasia and Lower Urinary TractSymptoms: Research PrioritiesCosimo De Nunzio Sascha Ahyai , Riccardo Autorino Alexander Bachmann Waldemar Bialek Alberto Briganti , Oliver Reich Roman Sosnowski Nikesh Thiruchelvam Giacomo Novara for